Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Peaceful Christmas

James Carl Franklin Boyd. 1-5-1926 - 12-16-2008





Merry Christmas to everyone. I have been absent from here for a while now... I'll admit it's been mostly due to lack of enthusiasm about not having much to say. However now that the holidays are here I could ramble on and on. However I have a very important point to make.

Since it is the holiday season, I hope everyone makes it a point to call the folks out there that you care about, or to stop by and see them. To tell the people in your life how much you love them is a very important thing you should not pass up.

Last Tuesday while at work I got a call from my dad. This happens pretty frequently, but something told me to take this call and not to let it go to voicemail. Dad was calling me to tell me that my Grandad had passed away the night before in his sleep. So the task began to make it down to Joplin to collect the family and make the arrangements as we had done years before when my grandmother had passed. I had not spoke to Granddad in a month or so. It pains me now that I thought I was too busy to call him, or that he would not want to hear from me. The truth of the matter is I made excuses, and now I regret that I never told him how important he was to me. How he helped to mold my character into what I am today. He never told me that there were things that I could not do. Instead he challenged me and when I said I couldn't, he'd say "Well I guess I don't see why you can't". Or "Guess you'll never know how to succeed if you never fail a time or two". He taught me the love I have for horses. To never fear them, but instead to learn from them, and to teach them how to love you back. He gave me the only horse I have ever owned. Lady, a white appaloosa mare that was pregnant when he gave her to me. She passed, and it was so painful he hugged me and helped me through it.

JOPLIN, Mo. — Carl Boyd, age 82, of Joplin, Mo., passed away at 1:14 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 16, 2008, at his home following a short illness.

Carl was born Jan. 5, 1926, in Webb City, Mo., and returned to the Webb City area in 2000. He was employed as a maintenance mechanic with the Avon Corp. for 15 years, retiring in 1990. He was a Navy veteran of World War II and was a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary in Kansas City, Mo., Carl was a Baptist.

Carl was married to Mary Lou Cooper March 31, 1951, in Bentonville, Ark. She preceded him in death on March 12, 1997.
He was also preceded in death by two brothers.

Survivors include two sons, David Boyd, Joplin, and Gary Boyd, Wichita, Kan.; two daughters, Linda Parrish and husband, Larry, Oak Grove, Mo., and Cynthia Hicks and husband, Philip, Harper, Kan.; 10 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

Carl’s wishes were to be cremated. Memorial services with military honors will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Hedge-Lewis Chapel in Webb City. Burial of ashes will be in the Union Cemetery, near Stella, Mo.
Rest in peace Grandad, I LOVE YOU!

No comments: