
Ever do something that seems small to a lot of people, but it makes your heart leap inside of you just because you actually DID something? That's how I feel about what I did this weekend. A few months ago I asked the HR director at my former job if we could have a blood donation at work. After I contacted the CBC and asked them to send our company information, and got them to get in touch with our HR director it happened. August 20Th we had a blood drive at Arrow Speed. I was proud. It was a moment that I thought was something I could do to help people that needed something. I did this in support for my Great Aunt Dot who survived breast cancer this summer. And for my Uncle Dave who had to have a leg amputated below the knee due to complications from his diabetes. I did it for ME. And I received no recognition for making it happen. No mention that I was the person responsible for making the suggestion or for seeing it followed through. Thank you to the people that worked with me and donated because I asked them to do so. They did not have to but they did and I appreciated it!
This weekend I did that again. I went and donated. And I spoke to a nurse about changing up and doing platelet donation. This is why... Platelets can only be collected through apheresis and help patients who suffer from leukemia, cancer, aplastic anemia and other blood disorders. These patients often require multiple platelet donations. This could save someone. I asked the nurse why don't more people donate... she said it is because people are too busy. I think it's just because people think they are too busy. IF they actually knew how little time it takes versus the benefits of it then maybe more people would MAKE THE TIME. It's not much, but I cannot help but think if my blood can help to save someone then it is worth my time to make it happen. Who knows maybe I may be the person who needs it someday. I sure would be appreciative if it's there for me to receive. God Bless the people out there who make this donation each and every time they chose to walk in and give.
1 comment:
Parts Chick! I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!! Caring about helping others is a wonderful thing!
Post a Comment