Friday, August 1, 2008

It's always good to be able to go "home" as some of us call it. For me that used to be Cassville Missouri, where my grandparents lived. Now there is no going "home" unless you are just visiting the general area. My grandad lives alone in a trailer, with his pet birds. Grandma died almost ten years aog and to this day I still miss her terribly. I was always closest with my mom's side of the family. There is just more openess with them. My grandma always insisted us kids and grandkids go to the reunions, and now I am thankful that she did.

I went this past week with my husband back to his "home" which is in upstate New York. I love going to visit his family. His parents often moved around since his dad was in the Air Force, and so they had many places that they lived in. One thing remained consistent though. His Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts, and Cousins always lived in the same part of the country, and for the most part in the same houses. You can go into, what is now his cousins house, and look in the kitchen cupboard and see the markings on the wall of how tall the kids were when they got measured by Grandpa. So much history in the house. It has served as living quarters for four generations now, with the 5Th on the way. Old photo albums remind us of times gone by, and I thoroughly enjoy looking at the old albums for hours and hours.

My grandma always had great albums. After she passed away they were given to my mom. And now I have taken them over. I am re-working them into a scrapbook though. This way in case anyone else in the family would like a copy we can have one made. I recently saw an ancestors scrapbook of one of my husbands family friends. It was so lovely and really well put together. I hope mine is half as nice. With time and patience I am sure it will be.

Till next time, keep taking photos and making memories of your own. I'll be busy working on my scrapbook!

1 comment:

Towanda said...

Parts Chick - I loved the ancestor scrapbook too, and it is one of my projects for sometime in the future. Right now I am just gathering old family pictures together...luckily I have a lot of those.