Sunday, May 24, 2009

Honor the past. Honor the present.


Today is Memorial Day in the United States. I wanted to take a moment to reflect on this, and to offer my Thanks, and praise for the people who are serving in our military today. And to pay my respect for the people who have served and lost their lives so that I can enjoy the Freedom I have and to say Thank you for the people who are still here and served to protect us.

I usually listen to talk radio on my way to and from work. The other night while I was listening to a local Kansas City station the hosts asked the question, "Has Memorial Day lost its meaning". I would tend to say as I hear the people around me in the office that I work that yes, indeed it has. All the talk centered around going to the lake, and camping. Or going to the nearest big box store for a great sale. The retailers in the country have definitely picked up on the American love of a bargain and use any holiday as a gimmick reason to sell us products at a cheaper price.

That being said maybe I think of this holiday a bit differently. I honor the day, the people that made it possible for me to celebrate it, and to give thanks to the family I have lost, and to the one's that have survived.

My dad is a 59 year old Vietnam War Veteran. He was awarded many metals during his tour of Vietnam. One that makes me the most proud is the Purple Heart. My dad lost many friends in Vietnam, and like most doesn't tend to speak openly about his time i n the war, only to say that he saw many things that changed him forever.

We have many family members on both sides of my family tree that have been in the military. Many of which served, and came home to us, some serving now making us proud, and a couple who have fallen during wars. Here is my tribute to the lost. We love you and honor your memories.



James W Cooper was my grandma's big brother. He was born February 25th, 1925, and died serving on the USS Johnston om October 25th, 1944. James was the fourth of ten children born to my Great Grandmother Jennie. James as buried at sea after he was rescued from the Johnston. A memorial to honor the men from the Battle of Leyte is at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, Point Loma, San Diego, California. The memorial was dedicated in 1995.


Larry Le Roy Parrish was my dad's cousin. Named after my dad by my Great Uncle Robert while my dad was serving in his last tour in Vietnam. Larry was also a military man, he had been all over the world with the Army. He served in Bosnia, Qatar, Kuwait, Guantanamo Bay Cuba, and was assigned to the 110th Support Platoon in Iraq. Larry was killed on October 7th 2006 when he encountered an IED in Iraq. There were several other men that died with Larry from that IED. I'm sorry to say that I did not know those men, I'm sure that they were as great as Larry. He was truly a special man. Larry was a fun guy. He loved to pull practical jokes on everyone and had the biggest loudest laugh I think I have ever heard. He loved his family, his friends, nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts, and uncles. Larry we miss you and know you are watching down on us. We love you!





Carrie Neal, we are so proud of you for your commitment to the Navy. Grandad is looking down on you with a big grin, as are many of our other former Navy family members!

To all of the men and women serving in our armed forces, THANK YOU for what you do. You are appreciated, and we love you!

1 comment:

Towanda said...

Great Memorial Day post, Katy.